Doesn’t it feel like the holidays begin earlier and earlier each year? It seems that Halloween candy is out in the stores the minute school supplies are purchased, and Thanksgiving starts knocking on November 1st. Although I could use a little more breathing room between the celebrations, the holiday spirit does get me thinking about whether I’m living my life on purpose. The beginning of our designated season of giving, celebration, family, and community seems the perfect time to ask yourself if your life and actions are truly aligned with your greater purpose. Is what you’re investing your time in daily aligned with what matters most to you? Perhaps it’s time to step back and reflect while gathering perspective.
Similar to core values, knowing your purpose matters when it becomes the foundation for your thoughts, practices, actions, and design for life. In case you’re unclear, here are some questions to help you define or reflect on your purpose:
- The reasons I am alive, here today are…
- What gives my life a true sense of meaning is…
- More than anything in life, I want to be…
- If I could do anything in life and not worry about money, what would that be?
- If time, energy, and money were not an object, what would I be doing?
- What is most important to me in life?
- If I could change the world, what things would I change?
Now that you’ve defined your purpose, what will you do about it? What thought will you turn into action? I suggest beginning with 3 actionable ideas that will enhance your experience of living on purpose – especially through the holiday season. Consistently doing small things with intention will create a lasting impact. During this wonderful holiday season, imagine what a richer experience of gratitude, joy, and peace would offer to you. It won’t happen by accident; it will only happen on purpose.